Search This Blog

Loading...

Inks, Pens, and Paper dissected here for your surfing pleasure. I'll be adding my PC to Apple Odyssey too, in the hopes of helping others out of the pit of Newb.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Ink Mixing

This is hands down the best ink mixing post I've ever read:

Noodler's CMYK Color Mixes by Linda Medley (Limner on FPN)

(The pictures seem to have disapeared, so I'm reposting the whole thing with the author's permission here.)


These are ink colors I mixed according to 4-color CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) color conventions. There are other techniques for mixing color, but CMYK is the method I am most experienced with. It is the method used in full-color printing separation.

For the Primary Hues I used the following:
CYAN: Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
MAGENTA: Noodler's Shah's Rose
YELLOW: Noodler's Yellow

The secondary and tertiary hues are all mixed from different combinations of the primary hues, and were matched to a commercial CMYK color wheel (these are available at art supply stores, usually in the Graphic Arts section).

I mixed the Tints (pastels) using Noodler's White Whale. The same effect can be achieved by mixing with Blue Ghost, or even distilled water (for pastels without the ultraviolet properties).

Tones are muted colors acheived by mixing a hue with its complimentary hue (the color directly opposite on the color wheel). An infinite number of tones can be mixed from any complimentary hues, but in my experience the differences can be pretty subtle. I like tone mixtures, as I feel they have a softer, more "antique" look than Shades (colors mixed with black). With the Noodler's ink, tone mixes also don't separate in the bottle, as the colors mixed with black tend to do.

I used Bulletproof Black for mixing Shades (hue plus black). A little black goes a long way.

The formulas noted are parts ratios--ie, 1 (part) ink A plus 6 (parts) ink B. I mixed all the secondary and tertiary hues before continuing on with mixing the various tints, tones, and shades. I found that a mini ice cube tray, with cover, makes an ideal palette for mixing a lot of ink colors at once.

The scans show the colors arranged in a traditional color wheel format, an overall color chart (with formulas noted), and some writing samples. Unfortunately I have samples for only the primary, secondary, and tertiary hues, and one set of basic tones; I pooped out before I managed to reach the tints and shades. The paper used in all the samples is HP Laser.

Hopefully this will be of some interest/use to others. If not, my apologies.

EDIT:
My image files apparently aren't compatible with the FPN system...to see the scans, please click the links below (the files are large--they may take awhile to load for some members). Thanks, James!





Noodler's CMYK Color Chart:










Color Wheel







Writing Samples 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Thanks for the effort! =)

sarai

Kate said...

Thanks Sarai, that's very kind of you. However, it's the author of this post, Lina Medley, who did all this amazing work. I'm just happy to be able to share it with other ink mixing fans.

Google Analytics

My Library

Blog Archive